PHUMC FOOD PANTRY
OCTOBER FOOD PANTRY CHALLENGE!
An estimated 1 in 6 Arkansans face hunger every day, and 1 in 5 Arkansas children go to bed hungry each night. Some statistics point to at least 340 million children across the world younger than 5 years old that don’t get the nutrition they need for physical growth and the ability to fight off illness.
The Food Pantry is distributing food twice in the month of October
The October food pantry challenge starts Sunday, October 3 and runs through Sunday, October 24. The challenge encourages families to read Scripture, pray at mealtime and collect food together for four weeks in October. Choose the same day each week for activities together or a day that works best for your family. Each week has special corresponding food items that are needed. Your family can drop off needed items each week at Entrance 1 OR by the Great Hall in the parking garage. The PHUMC October Food Pantry challenge also celebrates World Food Day. World Food Day is celebrated annually on October 16 to promote global awareness and action for those who suffer from hunger, and to highlight the need to ensure healthy diets for all. The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). The UN designated 16 October as World Food Day in 1979. We hope this challenge will draw your family closer together in October, help you feel more connected to our PHUMC church family and to serve Arkansans through supporting the PHUMC food pantry. Thank you for your support of the PHUMC Food Pantry!
Week 1 (Oct. 3-9)
- Challenge foods: Green beans or corn
- Bible verse: Matthew 25:35
- Mealtime Prayer: Loving God, we pray for cooperation and support for life saving assistance to people struggling from food insecurity and hunger in our community and around the world. Send life-giving rains at just the right time, create good conditions for families to grow food for their survival, and cease conflict so your children will no longer go to bed hungry each night. Amen.
Week 2 (Oct. 10-16)
- Challenge foods: Cornbread or stuffing
- Bible verse: John 6:35
- Mealtime Prayer: Almighty God, it is difficult to see children suffer, especially from hunger. We pray for You to give children across the world daily bread today and help our schools stay open despite COVID outbreaks. We pray for those children who count on schools every day to receive needed meals through school meal programs as well as instruction that helps them grow and learn each day. Thank you for our schools, teachers and administrators and for the children they serve. Please keep our Arkansas children safe, healthy and strong. Amen.
Week 3 (Oct. 17-23)
- Challenge foods: Cranberry sauce or pumpkin
- Bible verse: Luke 6:21
- Mealtime Prayer: Lord, thank you for allowing our church to serve so many families through our food bank. Thank you for the team that runs the food bank and every family who will donate food this month. Please draw near to our church as we serve you in new ways and away from group gatherings and our normal routines. Give us strength to find you and feel your Spirit with us every day. Bless our donations and every home they touch. In Christ’s name. Amen.
Week 4 (Oct. 24-30)
- Challenge foods: Sweet potatoes or mashed potatoes
- Bible verse: Psalm 146:6-7
- Mealtime Prayer: Holy Father, you are our loving Creator and maker of heaven and earth. Help us to trust you and know that you are in control of all things. Please hear the prayers of your people and give comfort to the hungry in our city. Give them strength, and let them feel your presence in their lives. Thank you for loving all of your creation wholly and completely. Amen.