The Society of St. Stephen Ministry provides a way for PHUMC’s lay members to serve others, live in obedience to God’s call, and live and grow as disciples of Christ.
Adult Sunday School Ministry
Coordinates Sunday School Joys and Concerns.
Caring Wheels Transportation Ministry
Provides transportation for members to and from medical appointments.
Clergy Visitation Scheduling Ministry
Assists clergy in scheduling visits to members living at home, in retirement centers, nursing facilities, and rehab facilities.
Sunday Monthly Communion Ministry
Delivers Holy Communion to members who are unable to attend worship. These deliveries are made during the first weekend of each month.
Food Committee Ministry
Provides assistance to the Grief Committee as needed.
Grief Committee Ministry
Calls families who had a loss and offers to stay at the home during the funeral/memorial service.
Hospital Convalescence Ministry
Calls church members and friends who have been hospitalized.
Hospital Visitation Ministry
Visits local hospitals.
PHUMC Prayer Ministry Opportunities:
- Monday Intercessory Prayer Ministry (11:00 – 11:45 am). Prays for the needs of each person listed on the Confidential Prayer Lists.
- Monday Midday Prayer Service Ministry (11:45 am – 12:15 pm in Shamblin Chapel). Offers intercessory prayers for our church, community, and world. All are welcome.
- Daily Prayer in Chapel Ministry (8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday – Friday) Allows a special time to center our lives and strengthen our bond with God and our neighbor. Daily offering of prayers for our church, community, and world.
- Labyrinth Ministry (Thursdays, 8:00 am – 8:00 pm in Wesley Hall). Provides a peaceful setting…”The labyrinth is a spiritual tool that has many applications in various settings. It reduces stress, quiets the mind and opens the heart. It is a walking meditation, a path of prayer…”
- Prayer Shawl Ministry (2nd Wednesday of each month, 10:00 am – 11:00 am). Provides shawls which are knitted with prayer from start to finish for those in need of support and encouragement. Each shawl brings to the recipient the warmth, love and concern that, through prayer, have been absorbed into every stitch.
Nursing and Rehabilitation Worship Ministry
Assists with community worship services at local nursing and rehabilitation facilities.
Sunday Morning Transportation Ministry
Picks up people in the church bus and brings them to PHUMC for worship. On occasion furnishes transportation for special events.
VIP In-Touch Ministry
Offers support to the following:
- At home and out of town members
- Independent and assisted retirement centers
- Nursing and rehabilitation facilities
It is vitally important that member of our congregation who are unable to attend church to still feel a part of our fellowship.
Caring Assistance Ministry
Coordinates counseling and emergency support for people in acute distress through the provision of food, clothing, and shelter in consultation with other community providers to optimize impact and to develop relationships.
Provides Automatic External Defibrillator and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation training.